Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Fishing at "Skunk" River

On Memorial Day, I spent about two hours fishing at what I'll call "Skunk" river. It's not really called Skunk river, but the skunkout ratio is pretty darn high, hence the name I've given it. This is another river very dear to me so I won't name it as I just had an incident where I had to call the DNR warden on a large group of people trying to worm out 6 inch brown trout. Really??? 6 inch trout??? I wasn't too happy because this is one of the few southeast WI streams that naturally reproduce brown trout.

Here are some pictures of the stream. It's so beautiful there and I always feel a level of peace and intimacy with nature that I don't get elsewhere.




As mentioned earlier, my skunk out ratio on this stream is pretty high, probably most likely due to me being a noob, but Memorial Day was my lucky day! My first and the largest fish I've caught on this stream was this beauty! I'm disappointed that I didn't take clearer pictures! It came out of an undercut bank and took my dropper scud pattern. It was pretty feisty and gave a really good fight. I almost lost it due to a pile of logs that it darted towards.



This one I caught on a Caddis fly. I'm falling deeply in love with dry fly action! That feeling that you get when the fly drifts perfectly and you are just 100% confident that the fish will rise. It's hard to beat that feeling!


I had a blast on this river and hopefully will get back soon again. This weekend, I'll be heading out with a friend to Viroqua for some fly fishing in the Driftless. It'll be my first time there, so I'm pretty pumped!! Stay tuned for updates.

Last but not least, thank you to all the men and women who have served our country. Your service will never be forgotten.

No comments:

Post a Comment